Green Bean Casserole
Submitted by Krista Kuchenbecker on Dec 23, 2017
Green Bean Casserole is probably one of my favorite holiday side dishes. When I made this recipe, I had no problem eating all the leftovers all week with my ham! I had to adapt this recipe to be dairy free so I could enjoy it without the stomach pains afterwards, and I like it so much better than the original!
1 pint baby bella mushrooms, washed and diced
1 white onion diced
3-4 cloves of garlic mined
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons Italian blend seasoning
salt and black pepper to taste
1 carton unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder or corn starch
4 cups fresh green beans trimmed and cut
1. Heat olive oil in skillet and add in the onions. Keep stirring the onions until they become translucent. Then add in the garlic and mushrooms. Cook this down until the onions become dark in color and are caramelized. Liberally salt and pepper the veggies.
2. Once the veggies have cooked down add in the carton of coconut milk. You want to keep stirring this on medium to low heat until it comes to a simmer.
3. Add in the italian seasoning blend and extra pepper. Keep simmering to reduce the mixture until it thickens slightly.
4. While that is reducing, steam your green beans until they are al dente. You can choose to throw them in an ice bath when they are done if you like yours to remain crunchy.
5. Once the sauce reduces and thickens, add the arrowroot powder or cornstarch slurry to thicken. Once thickened to your desired consistency then add in the green beans and combine!
6. You can choose your toppings, I use some simple mills crackers, but you could also do the traditional fried onions!